OUR WINE IS THE REWARD FOR HAVING RESPECTED OUR LAND
A firm stand
A company that has chosen to grow vines in such distinctive natural environments as Favignana, the Aegadian Islands or on Mount Etna cannot fail to attach great importance to environmental factors and acknowledge that the balance of these ecosystems holds a strategic value that will influence every new impetus. The natural beauty of the habitats in which all of Firriato’s agricultural holdings are set constitutes a value of prime importance to the Di Gaetano family, to be protected and handed down to future generations.
A certified commitment
Reduction of environmental impact
Firriato was one of the first Italian companies to be awarded the ISO 14064 certification for the reduction and containment of greenhouse gas emissions. This certification, issued by DNV, the most prestigious and qualified certifying body for environmental management on an international level, will enable the island’s historic brand of high-quality wines to estimate its CO2 emissions and therefore obtain a fundamental parameter on which to build new dynamics for the control and reduction of emissions.
Sicily is home to some of the most enchanting places where nature, the landscape and rural civilization work their magic. Prime examples are the old production facilities safeguarded by Firriato on the Baglio Sorìa estate in the production area of Agro di Trapani and the Cavanera estate on Mount Etna; architectural expressions of an agricultural world that has always enjoyed social prestige and centrality on the island. These two gems have been given a new lease of life thanks to an elegant and demanding renovation project designed to restore and enhance the buildings with the sympathetic use of materials, adopting all of the technological solutions needed to reduce the impact on the environment and landscape.
Organising efficiency to guarantee quality
Work in the winery
Viticulture that is so attentive when it comes to defining the distinctive and sensory properties of the grapes grown must be matched with a wine-producing facility equally focused on excellence and traceability. Everything that happens in Firriato’s winery meets this unconditional principle, from when the grapes arrive to when the bottle has been labelled and is ready for the market. Everything is controlled to ensure end consumers enjoy safe, certified and authentic Sicilian wine that reflects the territory in which it was produced and the excellence of its sensory characteristics and the grapes from which it was made.
- BioAgriCert Certification: Certificate of compliance with Regulation 834 /07/CE in the matter of organic.
- ISO 14064-1: Certification concerning the quantification, monitoring and reporting of projects relating greenhouse gas emissions and/or removal. (carbon footprint). Firriato was the first Italian winery, among other 5 at European level ISO 14064-1 certified.
- ISO 14001-1: Certification relating quantification, monitoring in the matter of waste management.
- ISO 22005-1: Traceability certification considered as a technical tool to assist an organization to conform with its defined and measured objectives, by monitoring each product management within sustainable standards.
- SDNV-GL 1221-1/2009: stating that Firriato complies with implementation of the best practices to safeguard environmental sustainability in its tourist accommodation.
ENVIRONMENTAL SUSTAINABILITY TIMELINE